We've been out of commission for the last few days, with a bad case of the flu. Sequestered away in our little apartment, we never made it to an internet cafe to update our blog. So here's the latest scoop...
Our pre-court took place last Thursday. It was pretty uneventful and brief. After climbing the 5 flights of stairs to the judge's chamber (no Americans with Disabilities Act apparently exists here, as there's no elevator in the courthouse!), we were seated along with our interpreter, attorney (who we weren't even introduced to) and one of the doctors from the baby house. The judge didn't take much interest in us; he quickly shuffled through our dossier, took the photos we prepared of our home and family, and asked us if we had anything to add that wasn't already in our documentation. He then commented to our attorney (who looks all of 20 years old) that the date on the refusal letter that Ayazhan's birth mother signed reads 2006. The judge chided the attorney and told him he should proof his paperwork more thoroughly (for those of you who know I have a penchant for proofing, you know I wholeheartedly agree with the judge on this one!). For a brief, but fleeting moment, I thought "Oh no, please don't tell us that we're now going to be held up by this typo." Thankfully, the doctor assured the judge that there was additional documentation at the B.H. that would show everything was in order.
Tomorrow, Feb. 3 is a big day for us: formal court! John has prepared a brief, eloquent speech on our behalf. As the "little woman" I was not given the option to present to the judge. I am, however, permitted to say at the very end that "I agree with everything my husband has said" and mention that we love Ayazhan and feel very close to her, etc.. I think I can handle that!
Monday, February 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
HI Sherri and John,
ReplyDeleteMy fingers are crossed for you - hoping that tomorrow will be the big day and that all goes well.
The blog is great and has been a wonderful way for us stateside to continue to follow the Samantha Saga as it unfolds.
As you may know, Samantha will have a new governor when she returns to IL - one with a name less like her native land and hopefully one that is more focused on the people of the state.
Were you able to see the Super Bowl? Did the folks in Kaz even care about the spectacle? When they say people all over the world are watching - I always wonder what they are saying about the excesses of our country - especially when the media keeps saying how depressed the economy is - and then the world sees this over the top production. What comments do you hear?
Again, best of luck in court and hope you can return to Chicago soon.
Warm hugs,
Carri
So excited for your process to be coming to an end. I am praying that all goes well with the judge tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteWill you keep Ayazhan as her middle name? I can't wait to hear how that is actually pronounced because I am sure what I am saying in my head is NOT correct!
ReplyDeleteMy fingers are crossed for you! So exciting! Can't wait to hear more about sweet Samantha when you get home!
ReplyDelete